Thursday, February 18, 2010

Staying Hydrated

One of my new years resolutions this year was to drink more water. It never seems to be a problem for me in the summertime, but when its cold outside I tend to drink less water. But how much water should we really be drinking every day? I've heard various answers over the years 5-8 glasses, 8-10 glasses. Which is it and what size should each glass be? After doing a little research on the subject, there is no exact number. There are many factors to consider that would determine the correct amount for each individual person; activity level, climate, diet...
I found a website with a water calculator that helps figure out how much you should be drinking daily. My results were 60.5 ounces. So almost 8 8oz glasses a day. That I can do.
Remember staying hydrated will keep your skin from looking dull, scaly, and stiff. Try the calculator yourself and drink up!

Water Calculator

1 comment:

  1. So, I was wondering if food and drinks like tea count towards your total. I did the calculator and here's what it said (I have to drink a little over 2 liters of water today):

    If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water may come from the foods you eat. If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 66 ounces of water today, or 2 liters.

    Remember that water is the best source for your daily fluid needs. Other good beverages include milk, herbal teas, low-sodium broth, 100% fruit and vegetable juices. Soft drinks will also count toward your daily total of fluid, just remember that sugar sweetened soft drinks and fruit juices add extra calories to you daily diet that you don't need.

    ReplyDelete