Friday, March 12, 2010

Cleansing 101

With everything our face is exposed to each day; smoke, pollution, dirt, bacteria, germs, we need a good cleansing. A proper cleansing can help prevent breakouts and blackhead and keep the skin clean and healthy. Follw these simple tips to get your skin squeeky clean!
  • Start with the right cleanser for your skin type. Oily skin: look for products that contain benxoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. Dry skin: look for moisturizing ingredients.

Bar soap(such as Dial soap) is a no-no. Because of its high alkalinity, it can cause irritation and aggravation to the skin. There are some great skin care companies that have formulated their cleansers into a bar soap. That is o.k. to use. Check with a skin care therapist if you need help selecting one that's suitable for your skin.

  • Use lukewarm water when washing your face. Hot water is too stripping and can damage the skin and cold water closes the pores making the cleansing process ineffective.
  • Cleanse your skin with upward gentle movements. Downward movements can drag down the skin and cause sagging. Work the product in for a good 10-15 seconds. A washcloth is acceptable to use during the cleansing process. However rough abrasive items such as Buf-Pufs and loofahs are too aggressive and damaging to the skin.
  • Rinse thoroughly to make sure all cleanser has been removed.
  • In some cases a second cleansing is needed. Women that wear excess amounts of makeup may need to wash twice to remove all product.
  • Pat dry with a clean towel. Do not rub the skin.

Cleanse your skin twice a day; in the morning and in the evening. Over washing strips the skin's natural barrier and is not healthy. Follow cleansing with a treatment serum and/or moisturizer.

2 comments:

  1. This is great info! I always heard that washing with lukewarm water was good, but I never do - too impatient to wait for the water to get warm. Well, I noticed that after my facial with you, my skin looks great. I'm going to make sure I use lukewarm. It will probably help with my oily skin. Also - I just wanted to say that after my facial, I notice that my skin's natural blush is back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your skin feels good! Getting a facial will help all your home care products work better too.

    ReplyDelete