Friday, March 5, 2010

Home Remedies

Another weekend is fast approaching us and unfortunately I'll be spending most of it on the couch. I've been trying so hard to not get my boys colds but it didn't work. I guess that's what happens when your kids wipe themselves all over you, cough in your face and touch your face with their dirty hands.
I woke up feeling like my head was going to explode and my throat is very sore. I dislike cough & cold meds so I'm just doing what I always do. Saline spray for the nose and a teaspoon of honey for the throat. Tonight I'm going to put my head over a pot of hot water with a few drops of eucalyptus. That seems to do the trick.

My girlfriend keeps raving about the netti pot. She swears by it. I suppose I should go out and get one of those.

Home remedies seem to always work better then the meds they have out there. I remember when I was younger, my friend's mom would put slices of raw potato on her kids foreheads if they had a fever. Anyone out there have their own home remedies for relieving symptoms of colds and sinus congestion?

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I feel like I'm getting a cold, the first thing I do is go out and get Vietnamese noodle soup (called Pho - pronounced 'fuh'). The broth is delicious and it's got lots of fresh ingredients including fresh herbs like basil, cilantro and mint and jalapeno. I add LOTS of the Sriracha hot sauce. I believe it's the spicy-ness and the compounds in the chili sauce that fight the cold germs. It almost always works!

    ReplyDelete